Thursday, February 11, 2016

Review: Cake by Nicole Reed

Cake
Cover Source: GoodReads.com
Title: Cake
Author: Nicole Reed
Version Reviewed: Finished, eBook
Website: www.nicolereedbooks.com
I purchased this book myself.


GoodReads Synopsis:
Would you be willing to make a mess of your life to get exactly what you want?
Kylie Lord has known Trent Moss and Dray Savage since college. Trent, the smart and kind-hearted humanitarian has had her heart from the moment they met, but someone else always has his. Dray is an arrogant professional football player who happens to be Trent’s best friend and Kylie’s nemesis “with benefits.”
Five years after graduation, Kylie is commanding the world with a new image and a successful business; however, she lacks the one thing she wants and the one thing she can never have. That is, until one fateful night when Kylie decides to go after all of her forbidden fantasies and risk everything.

Two men, completely different and poles apart, but together they are her idea of perfection. One can only offer her tonight and the other forever, but can Kylie settle for just one man, or can she have her cake and eat it too?
Review:
*This review was originally written in 2014 but was never posted. I am unaware of any changes that may have been made to the book since writing this review.

Oh goodness, where do I even start? I hate writing reviews for books that I didn't really care for but, for the sake of fairness, it's a necessary evil.

What initially drew me in about this book was all the buzz that I saw going around for it on all the blogs. The cover was also very sexy and it sounded like something I would read and enjoy.

Unfortunately, it wasn't.  At all. The story itself is good and I feel like there is a lot of potential there. I didn't like the writing style and, throughout most of the book, it seemed really rushed.  To me, it also seemed poorly edited which is one of my pet peeves. If I'm going to buy a finished copy of a book, I want it to actually be finished and ready to read. I understand that mistakes are made and that sometimes things are overlooked and I'm okay with that. I'm not okay with paying money for something that reads like an ARC. 

There were a lot of times where I honestly wondered why I was still reading it. The main character was, in my opinion, annoying and I just felt like everyone, minus her aunt Leigh, were just jerks to one another on an almost constant basis. Honestly, if I lived in the world of Cake, I wouldn't have given any of them the time of day.  They either talk horribly to one another or are constantly screwing each other over.  And not in the way that I enjoy reading. ;)

The only good thing that I can really say is that, for some reason, I couldn't stop reading it. As much as I disliked it, I had to see it out until the end.

Rating: 2 Stars.
Favorite Character: Aunt Leigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment