Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Behind The Screen: A Book Blogger Tag!


Image and book tag courtesy of the lovely Amber @ Du Livre!

Hi, I'm Darcus!
I run Rainy Days and Pajamas!
Here's a little bit about me.
:)

When did you start blogging and what was your first review?
I first began blogging in June of 2011 but not on this blog. I started with a blog called Starcrossed Reviews (inspired by Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini!) but a few years later I decided I wanted to completely rebrand and I opened up Rainy Days and Pajamas! My first review (posted on Starcrossed Reviews) was Marked by PC & Kristin Cast.
Marked (House of Night, #1)
Who/what inspired you to start blogging?
I remember looking up information for a book one day and I randomly stumbled upon a book blog. I had been reading a Enjoying The Small Things for a while and I figured, hey, I read a ton of books so why not start a blog of my own!?  I was also in a pretty bad place, emotionally and mentally, at the time. I had just suffered an ectopic pregnancy after trying for years for a baby, my husband and I were living in a friend's basement, and I was dealing with crippling anxiety/depression. Book blogging became a sort of escape for me.

What is a blog-related goal that you have?
I honestly don't have many goals when it comes to book blogging. I enjoy reading, I enjoy helping out authors and sharing news and information about great books. And honestly, I really just enjoy doing my own thing. I guess if I had to pick something that I would like to work towards, it would be respect. I've been pretty lax about blogging since I started, not keeping a good schedule, not posting for weeks at a time, missing tours, not keeping deadlines, etc. But, in the last two years, I've managed to completely turn myself and my blog around in that area and I would eventually like to garner the respect of bigger authors and publishing companies.

What was your biggest blog-related accomplishment?
Other than getting myself back on track in every area that I mentioned above, there hasn't really been any great accomplishments. I've kind of unintentionally flown under the radar since I started out.

What types of posts do you enjoy writing?
I love love LOVE doing giveaways.

Where do you usually blog? What does your setup look like?
I would normally say in our office/library. I used to have it set up so beautifully and then we moved and I still haven't gotten my desk cleaned up and organized. But for my birthday this past year my husband built me a little desk that is the perfect size for my laptop and it scoots right up under the couch and is the perfect height for me.

What was your last 5-star read?
Biggest Flirts by Jennifer Echols.

What was your last 1-star read?
I very rarely give these ratings out. I seriously had to go all the way back to early 2015 to find my last 1-star rating. And it was Harriet The Spy by Louise Fitzhugh. I was a huge fan of the movie growing up but when I read the book to my daughter, I vowed to never read it to her again (she can read it on her own when she's older, I don't believe in banning books, ya'll) unless she is mature enough to understand that Harriet was not of great character and didn't treat others well. She literally learned nothing  by the end of the book and was just a spoiled brat.

What are three words that make you pick up a book?
Forbidden
Beard
M/M
Yeah, that last one isn't technically a word, but I'm going to count it.
:P

What is your Hogwarts house?

What is your favorite reading environment?
On a cozy couch or chair, light throw blanket, light rainy day with a window open.

What advice would you give to new bloggers?
Don't take everything too seriously. Read to have fun and try not to let blogging ruin your love of it. As much as you enjoy it, it can get tiring. 
Also, don't get so excited when you start getting free books that you request or accept way more than you can handle. You'll spend the rest of you book blogging experience regretting it, trust me.
Lastly, have fun and enjoy it!



2 comments:

  1. Thank's for sharing a little about yourself. It was fun to read this tag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading!! <3 I love doing little survey-ish type things like this!

      Delete