Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Review: Doctor Who Season One


Cover Source: Amazon.com

Title: Doctor Who Season 1
Year: 2006
Main Cast: Christopher Eccleston, Billie Piper
Version Reviewed: Netflix Streaming.


Amazon Summary:
Christopher Eccleston's Doctor is wise and funny, cheeky and brave. An alien and a loner, his detached logic gives him a vital edge when the world's in danger. But when it comes to human relationships, he can be found wanting. That's why he needs Rose. From the moment they meet, the Doctor and Rose understand and complement each other. As they travel together through time, encountering new adversaries, the Doctor shows her things beyond imagination.

Okay, so I admit that I never even wanted to watch Doctor Who.  The whole "scifi" genre really isn't my thing and I've always seen Doctor Who as sci-fi.  While in high school, one of my friends and her family were really into the show and I had seen bits and pieces, though I never really paid it any attention.

This past February/March, my husband decided that, since he'd heard good things about the show, he'd give it a try.  It was something he would usually like, so why not.  He tried everything in his power to get me to watch it with him and I always refused, "knowing" that I wouldn't like it and telling him that it just wasn't my thing. I can't deny that I occasionally got sucked into it.  I would be on my computer or doing whatever and it was almost impossible for me to keep my eyes away from the TV.

No joke, this is my lockscreen.  I also
have a Doctor Who ringtone.
Long after my husband got up to date on all the current episodes, I finally admitted to him that I had liked what I had seen of the show.  I couldn't deny it any longer.  After watching the 50th Anniversary Special and The Day of The Doctor, it began driving me insane because I felt so out of the loop and I wanted to know everything that had happened up to that point.  So I decided to finally sit down and really watch the
show.

This season for me was really good.  There were a lot of sci-fi-ish things in it but I found that, unlike other shows and movies, these don't really bother me because I'm so wrapped up in the storyline, the Doctor, Rose and everything that's going on between them.  The show has a lot of things to keep a person interested and is full of action, emotion and humor.

I think the only thing that really annoyed me was how often Rose was the cause of the Doctor's problems.  I mean, Father's Day.  It was a great episode, but jeesh.  Every single thing was her fault.  And she just had to touch the lone Dalek, regenerating it.  I probably would have chucked her out of the TARDIS ages ago.

Overall, I'm really enjoying the show and I hate the I rejected my husband's pleas so many times.  I feel bad that I'm now watching by myself and made him watch it on his own without my company.  But at least now I can share in his enthusiasm and we can talk about Doctor Who together.  :)


Favorite Episode:   The Empty Child.
Favorite Quote:
 "I have to keep you safe... my Doctor."


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment