Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Review: Maneater by Cambria Hebert

Maneater (A Love in the ‘80s Novella)
Cover Source: GoodReads.com
Title: Maneater
Author: Cambria Hebert
Series: Love In The 80s #3
Version Reviewed: Finished, eBook
I purchased this book myself.

GoodReads Synopsis:
Watch out, girls. Here she comes.

There’s always that girl. She’s popular, beautiful, and has everything together. The one with the perfectly teased hair, arms full of colorful (but coordinated) bangles, and expertly painted bright-pink lips.

A teacher’s pet. Daddy’s girl.

Everyone loves her.

Because everyone is afraid to challenge her.

Kelly Ross is that girl. She uses her powers of popularity for good… her own good. She doesn’t care who she hurts.

She always gets what she wants.

Including your man.

When she walks down the hallway in her hot-pink heels and ruffled denim miniskirt, all the boys’ heads turn. And all the girls start whispering.

Man-eater.

There hasn’t been a single guy Kelly hasn’t been able to chew up and spit out.

Until now.
Kelly has finally met her match. He’s been there all along, and he’s the exact opposite of everything you’d expect.
Review:
Let me start off by saying I freaking love the cover of this book and I love the premise for the entire series.  I've always been oddly fascinated by the 80's and soak up movies and books set in that time period. Cambria is pretty much my favorite author (aside from R.L. Stine, of course) so I was super excited when I learned she would be writing a story set in 1982.

The book starts off pretty well and I was immediately sucked into the story.  I admit that there seemed to be an overuse of slang in the beginning and I did notice some typos, but, at least for me, they were easily ignored.  Once the story got started it was smooth sailing and I found myself falling for Eric.  He was a very likeable character and I wanted to know more about him and his history with Kelly. 

Kelly was one of those characters that I couldn't find myself liking at first.  She was pretty despicable and I couldn't get passed the way she treated her friends and the people around her.  She was everything that the synopsis for the book promised.  The further the story went on, however, and the more she began interacting with Eric, we started to see a different side to this 'man-eater'. She was softer than she led people to believe and she didn't always like the things she did.

Maneater was decently reminiscent of the 80' and reminded me of something right along side of a John Hughes film.

Rating: 4 Stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment