Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Review: The Reptile Room by Lemony Snicket

The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #2)
Cover Source: GoodReads.com
Title: The Reptile Room
Series: A Series of Unfortunate Events #2
Author: Lemony Snicket
Version Reviewed: Finished, Hardback.
Website: www.lemonysnicket.com
I purchased this book myself.


GoodReads Synopsis:
Dear Reader,
If you have picked up this book with the hope of finding a simple and cheery tale, I'm afraid you have picked up the wrong book altogether. The story may seem cheery at first, when the Baudelaire children spend time in the company of some interesting reptiles and a giddy uncle, but don't be fooled. If you know anything at all about the unlucky Baudelaire children, you already know that even pleasant events lead down the same road to misery.
In fact, within the pages you now hold in your hands, the three siblings endure a car accident, a terrible odor, a deadly serpent, a long knife, a large brass reading lamp, and the appearance of a person they'd hoped never to see again.
I am bound to record these tragic events, but you are free to put this book back on the shelf and seek something lighter.
With all due respect,
Lemony Snicket
Review:
I'm so excited to continue on with this series! My daughter and I are seriously enjoying reading it at bedtime and we can't get enough.  She has become obsessed with Count Olaf since the Netflix series came out and I'm really glad that I had the first couple of books on hand so that we could begin reading them. I have to purchase the third book and she was deeply unhappy with me that I didn't already have it once we finished The Reptile Room.

Overall, this book is great. It's full of silly mystery and absurd criminal activity just like the first book. The amount of ridiculousness and sheer terror brought to the Baudelaire lives by Count Olaf is insane and great to read. Just like the first book, I still love that Lemony Snicket included descriptions and explanations behind some of the bigger words and phrases in the book and perfectly blended them into the stories. It's a great way to broaden the vocabulary of the children reading without seeming like they're being taught. As a mother, I cannot express my gratitude for this enough.

After watching the movie and the show, it's really interesting to see how well they follow along with the stories brought forth in each book (and so far, they've kept it REALLY close!) and the different interpretations of the characters, especially Uncle Monty. I love that the children, even for a short amount of time, got to experience a good, wholesome, character that meant them no harm.

Great continuation of the series and I can't wait to read more!

Rating: 3 Stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment