Saturday, May 12, 2018

Review: Where They Found Her by Kimberly McCreight

Where They Found Her
Cover Source: GoodReads.com
Title: Where They Found Her
Author: Kimberly MCreight
Version Reviewed: Finished, Hardback
Website: www.kimberlymccreight.com
I purchased this book myself.

GoodReads Synopsis:
From the author of the New York Times bestseller and 2014 Edgar and Anthony nominee Reconstructing Amelia comes another harrowing, gripping novel that marries psychological suspense with an emotionally powerful story about a community struggling with the consequences of a devastating discovery.
At the end of a long winter, in bucolic Ridgedale, New Jersey, the body of an infant is discovered in the woods near the town’s prestigious university campus. No one knows who the baby is, or how her body ended up out there. But there is no shortage of opinions.

When freelance journalist, and recent Ridgedale transplant, Molly Anderson is unexpectedly called upon to cover the story for the Ridegdale Reader, it’s a risk, given the severe depression that followed the loss of her own baby. But the bigger threat comes when Molly unearths some of Ridgedale’s darkest secrets, including a string of unreported sexual assaults that goes back twenty years.

Meanwhile, Sandy, a high school dropout, searches for her volatile and now missing mother, and PTA president Barbara struggles to help her young son, who’s suddenly having disturbing outbursts.

Told from the perspectives of Molly, Barbara, and Sandy, Kimberly McCreight’s taut and profoundly moving novel unwinds the tangled truth about the baby’s death revealing that these three women have far more in common than they realized. And that their lives are more intertwined with what happened to the baby than they ever could have imagined.
Review:
This is one of those books that I spent forever wishing was on my shelf. My household is pretty much always on a really strict budget so unless I win it or find it in a thrift store, I don't buy many books. About a year after this one was released, I finally found it and added it to my TBR list.

So, what drew me to the book initially? For starters, the covers is gorgeous. These are the kind of covers that catch my attention and make me curious about the story. The title is equally as intriguing.  I love a good thriller and this seemed to promise the best.

Unfortunately, it didn't. Not in my personal opinion, anyway. The story itself seemed to fall flat. It had the workings for a good mystery but it didn't hold my attention at all. I struggled throughout this entire book and more than once thought about putting it down and picking up a different one altogether.

There was good development within the characters. They each had a great voice to them and separate personalities. The issue is that there were so many. There were too many different stories and lives intertwining. Usually I'm all for interlocking story lines but this one was just too muddled and it was hard to keep track of who was who and who did what and when.

Unfortunately, I wasn't the biggest fan of Where They Found Her.

Rating: 1 Star.

No comments:

Post a Comment