Sunday, June 24, 2018

Review: It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover

It Ends with Us
Cover Source: GoodReads.com
Title: It Ends With Us
Author: Colleen Hoover
Version Reviewed: Finished, Audiobook
Narrator: Olivia Song
Website: www.colleenhooverbooks.com
I borrowed this audiobook from my local library.

GoodReads Synopsis:
Lily hasn’t always had it easy, but that’s never stopped her from working hard for the life she wants. She’s come a long way from the small town in Maine where she grew up—she graduated from college, moved to Boston, and started her own business. So when she feels a spark with a gorgeous neurosurgeon named Ryle Kincaid, everything in Lily’s life suddenly seems almost too good to be true.
Ryle is assertive, stubborn, maybe even a little arrogant. He’s also sensitive, brilliant, and has a total soft spot for Lily. And the way he looks in scrubs certainly doesn’t hurt. Lily can’t get him out of her head. But Ryle’s complete aversion to relationships is disturbing. Even as Lily finds herself becoming the exception to his “no dating” rule, she can’t help but wonder what made him that way in the first place.
As questions about her new relationship overwhelm her, so do thoughts of Atlas Corrigan—her first love and a link to the past she left behind. He was her kindred spirit, her protector. When Atlas suddenly reappears, everything Lily has built with Ryle is threatened.
Review:
Man, oh-freaking-man. This book. It just. Ugh. I don't even know where to begin.

I guess I'll start here. I've always wanted to read a Colleen Hoover book. With the following that she has, I knew there had to be something amazing in her pages. And I was right. After reading Confess I knew I had to read another one. So, It Ends With Us came next. Hoover has easily become an insta-read author for me just because of these two books.

I had no idea the way in which It Ends With Us would be and, though a very good read, I had to admit that parts of it were really hard for me to listen to because they hit a little too close to home. My childhood was a lot like Lily's and listening, in detail, the things that she had to live through reminded me of things that I would witness as a child. Maybe that's one of the reasons why I loved this book so much. Because I understood it and because it related to me and my life experiences on a personal level.

The synopsis for this book is slightly misleading and, because of this, I was caught off guard by Ryle. I fell hard for him just like Lily did and Hoover's writing is so good that it makes you feel what Lily is feeling. Lily's story is so insanely raw and realistic that, as a reader, I felt so betrayed by the characters and their actions.

It Ends With Us made me feel and that's exactly what a good book should do.

Rating: 5 Stars

1 comment: