Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Review: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Cover Source: GoodReads.com
Title: The Hunger Games
Author: Suzanne Collins
Series: The Hunger Games #1
Version Reviewed: Finished, Paperback.
Website: www.suzannecollinsbooks.com
*This book was borrowed from a friend.


GoodReads Summary:
Winning will make you famous.
Losing means certain death. 
The nation of Panem, formed from a post-apocalyptic North America, is a country that consists of a wealthy Capitol region surrounded by 12 poorer districts. Early in its history, a rebellion led by a 13th district against the Capitol resulted in its destruction and the creation of an annual televised event known as the Hunger Games. In punishment, and as a reminder of the power and grace of the Capitol, each district must yield one boy and one girl between the ages of 12 and 18 through a lottery system to participate in the games. The 'tributes' are chosen during the annual Reaping and are forced to fight to the death, leaving only one survivor to claim victory. 
When 16-year-old Katniss's young sister, Prim, is selected as District 12's female representative, Katniss volunteers to take her place. She and her male counterpart Peeta, are pitted against bigger, stronger representatives, some of whom have trained for this their whole lives. , she sees it as a death sentence. But Katniss has been close to death before. For her, survival is second nature.
Review:
I was a little hesitant about this book at first. I assumed it was going to be good, but I didn't know how good it would be. There was so much hype about it, that I was afraid I would begin reading it and find myself disappointed. But oh, was I wrong. I absolutely loved this novel. From the first pages, it had me. And let me say to all of you that have yet to read it... believe the hype. Give yourself up to it and just read it already.

The main thing I loved about this book was that it wasn't easy to figure out. You didn't know what was going to happen until it happened, or how things were going to happen. You were basically left in the dark with no choice but to continue reading. I was kept guessing on every single page. The Hunger Games is very well written. Whether it's the horridity of the violence and the Games, or the heart and emotion you feel as you read on about the individual characters. It was easy to get sucked in and you remained there until the end.

Another thing that stood out to me about this novel was the lack of romance. Of course, there's a little romance in the novel, but only a tiny portion. It doesn't take center stage and demand all the attention. The book itself does not revolve around lust and love like most do. I love my love stories, but this book was a bit refreshing in that sense.

I loved this book so much and it is so different from anything I've read recently. As soon as I finished the last page, I honestly wanted to throw myself right into book two, Catching Fire. This book really does live up to the hype.

Rating:
5 Stars
 photo blue5.png



post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment