Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Review: Wildefire by Karsten Knight

Wildefire (Wildefire, #1)
Cover Source: GoodReads.com
Title: Wildefire
Author: Karsten Knight
Series: Wildefire #1
Version Reviewed: Finished, Hardback
Website: www.karstenknight.com
*I bought this book with my own money.


GoodReads Summary:
Every flame begins with a spark.
Ashline Wilde is having a rough sophomore year. She's struggling to find her place as the only Polynesian girl in school, her boyfriend just cheated on her, and now her runaway sister, Eve, has decided to barge back into her life. When Eve's violent behavior escalates and she does the unthinkable, Ash transfers to a remote private school nestled in California's redwoods, hoping to put the tragedy behind her.
But her fresh start at Blackwood Academy doesn't go as planned. Just as Ash is beginning to enjoy the perks of her new school - being captain of the tennis team, a steamy romance with a hot, local park ranger - Ash discovers that a group of gods and goddesses have mysteriously enrolled at Blackwood, and she's one of them. To make matters worse, Eve has resurfaced to haunt Ash, and she's got some strange abilities of her own.
With a war between the gods looming over campus, Ash must master the new fire smoldering within before she clashes with her sister one more time...
And when warm and cold fronts collide, there's guaranteed to be a storm.
Review:
I was crazy hyped about Wildefire before it even came out. After reading great reviews for it, talking to author Karsten Knight, participating in Twitter parties, and everything else I could do to learn more about this book, I was horribly in need of it. I entered every giveaway I could find, never won, so when it came out, I basically hounded my husband to take me to the store so that I could buy it. My husband was going to pick it up for me on his way home from work one night, but of course, the store was sold out. Great for Karsten Knight, bad for Darcus Murray. We then headed for the nearest Wal-Mart, and lucky for me, they had one copy left. I was so ecstatic. (Except for standing in line for fourty-five minutes. It was terrible that night!)

So I just finished reading Wildefire. I have to say that it lived up to the crazy image of it that I had in my head. Right off we're introduced to the protagonist, Ashline Wilde. In the very first chapter, she's angry, violent, and seemingly out of control. I read a lot of reviews beforehand, and this chapter seemed to turn a lot of people off. There were a lot of nasty reviews about how Ashline is such an angry, violent, takes-no-shit-from-anyone character. I'm going to admit that this was one of the characteristics of Ashline Wilde that I loved the most. A lot of the female protagonists in the books that I read are quiet, goody-goody, only goes off when she is in imminent danger girls. I don't mind this at all, so don't get me wrong. But Ash's bad-assery was fresh and exciting and fit the novel and her character well. If she was any different, she wouldn't have been Ash, the Polynesian volcano goddess. It worked for her and the novel.

Aside from her characteristics, this book had a lot going for it. I couldn't get enough. When I was halfway through it, my husband picked it up. He then read...and read...and read. He ended up finishing the book before I did, basically went crazy asking if we could go buy the next book. He then went even more nuts when I informed him that it hasn't even been published yet. He shoved the book in my face and insisted that I finish it because he could hardly hold back and wanted to talk to me about the ending.

Well, I finished the book today. And that ending that he was so crazy over...oh my goodness. He was absolutely right. The cliffhanger at the end was insane and makes your mind go nuts wondering what the hell is going to happen in Embers and Echoes. Wildefire was amazing and the insane, loveable, funny author of it, has a book that lives up to it's reputation and proves how well he writes. I (and my husband) cannot wait for the next installment.

Rating:
5 Stars.
 photo blue5.png

 


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment