Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Review: Dollhouse by Kourtney, Kim, & Khloe Kardashian

Dollhouse
Cover Source: GoodReads.com
Title: Dollhouse
Author: Kourtney, Kim, & Khloe Kardashian
Version Reviewed: Finished, Hardback
I purchased this book myself.

GoodReads Synopsis:
Nothing is more important to the Romeros than family. Just ask Kamille, Kassidy, and Kyle -- three beautiful, loving, and deeply loyal sisters who are the heart and soul of their family. Their mother has remarried and their new stepfather, a world-famous all-star baseball player, has come complete with two stepsiblings. Life in L.A. is pretty typical for this newly blended clan.

Until the day everything changes.

Overnight, one of the Romero sisters has become famous -- magazine-cover, fashion-icon, headline-making famous! Trailed by paparazzi, invited to every red carpet event, she has set a new standard for Hollywood royalty.
You'd think that all the glitz and glamour would make life a breeze. But as the sisters painfully discover, being a celebrity in L.A.'s gilded dollhouse isn't all it's cracked up to be. Suddenly their problems are much bigger than sharing clothes and discussing crushes. Who knew that having a famous sister would bring up so many issues: jealousy, backstabbing friends, fix-ups, plastic surgery, and paparazzi run-ins, to name just a few. As the sisters deal with their new lives, complete with a televised wedding, crazy nightclub parties, and forbidden stepsibling attraction, there's a huge secret that threatens to break even their tightest family bonds.
Review:
I am a complete sucker for pop culture and the Kardashians are one of my biggest guilty pleasures. I follow them on social media, I watch the show, and I keep up with all the latest Kardashian gossip. So I've been wanting to read some of their books for quite a while. I found Dollhouse at a thrift store, so I thought, why not give it a try?

When it comes to fiction written by celebrities, I go into reading them with three thoughts. 1: It's going to be terrible or 2: it's going to be amazing and 3: how much of this did they really write?  Sometimes it's hard to tell whether or not the celebrity actually wrote the story or if they had a ghostwriter. The woman that received thanks from the girls has been spotted on a lot of other celebrity novels, so I'm going to assume that most of the book, if not all of it, was written by her. 

Before digging in to Dollhouse, I honestly had low expectations. That may be bad of me to say, but I just wasn't sure how great it was going to be. I was hoping that I would be wrong. Unfortunately, my expectations were met.

I do think that this story could have been great if it weren't so blatantly a literal copy of the Kardashian's lives. There were certain events in the books that actually happened to the sisters and it was obviously fiction based on real events and real people. The similarities between fake and real life was never ending.

That aside, the characters were honestly annoying. They spent the entire book creating their own problems and then being frustrated by the outcomes. Have you ever heard the saying "Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains"? Yeah, that was the entirety of this book. They pretty much did nothing to fix any of their problems and just whined and complained like children. There was also a lot of drug and alcohol abuse, date rape that was barely even acknowledged, and a lot of unnecessary vulgarity.  And trust me, I am no prude. I completely open about sex and profanity and I read a lot of smut. But this book was just too much.

Rating: 2 Stars (I won't rate it lower because I was able to finish the book and I've read much, much worse). 

No comments:

Post a Comment