Saturday, December 9, 2017

Review: Butterfly by Cambria Hebert

Butterfly : A Public Enemy Standalone
Cover Source: GoodReads.com
Title: Butterfly
Series: Public Enemy #1
Author: Cambria Hebert
Website: www.cambriahebert.com
Version Reviewed: Finished, eBook
I borrowed this book from the Kindle Lending Library.

GoodReads Synopsis:
Drunken brawls. One-night stands.
No-show interviews. Toilet-papering my hoity-toity neighbor's house.
Insulting my fans. Trashing hotel rooms.
What's it take to become public enemy number one?
I just told you.
I've done all that and more.
My poor conduct got me on the Celebs Behaving Badly list
and ultimately ruined my career.
From the world's number-one popstar to world's most hated.
That's me. Ten Stark.
Go underground, they said. Stay out of the spotlight.
Most importantly, stay out of trouble.
Everyone loves a good comeback story.
For once, I listened.
I met someone who didn't know my name,
my face, or the bad behavior that defined me.
She taught me I wasn't who everyone thought I was--everyone including me.
Then someone whispered my name and things got messy, as they always do.
Now I want her back.
I'm not a caterpillar, but a butterfly.
My wings are in full color, not just black and white.
But first, I have to shed my cocoon and fly.
Review:
 I wasn't sure what to expect from this book when I first read the blurb for it. The whole musician/normal girl trope has been done quite a few times but I knew that Cambria is great for putting her own little spin on things and makes an amazing story with absolutely beautiful characters.

Upon starting Butterfly, I fell in love with Violet immediately. I loved her normality and the fact that she suffered from an autoimmune disorder. It's not often that we get main characters (unless the entire story is centered around their conditions) that have everyday medical issues. I loved her talent, creativity, and snarkiness. Violet was a great character that I totally would love to friends with if she was a real person. :)

Ten/Stark was also a really cool character. I love getting the inside scoop on celebrities and real-life celebrity gossip is definitely a guilty pleasure of mine. So stories that center around celebrities, especially ones with bad reputations, are always interesting to me. 

I found it very easy to fall into stride with these characters and they definitely made their story lines more enjoyable. They shared some sassy moments, some extremely steamy moment that involve paint, and some emotionally charged moments that made my heart beat faster.

If the rest of the standalones in the Public Enemy series are this good, I'm gonna eat them up.

Rating: 4 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment