Thursday, October 8, 2015

Review: Coraline by Neil Gaiman

Coraline
Cover Source: GoodReads.com
Title: Coraline
Author: Neil Gaiman
Version Reviewed: Finished, eBook
Website: www.neilgaiman.com
*I purchased this book myself.*

GoodReads Summary:
Coraline's often wondered what's behind the locked door in the drawing room. It reveals only a brick wall when she finally opens it, but when she tries again later, a passageway mysteriously appears. Coraline is surprised to find a flat decorated exactly like her own, but strangely different. And when she finds her "other" parents in this alternate world, they are much more interesting despite their creepy black button eyes. When they make it clear, however, that they want to make her theirs forever, Coraline begins a nightmarish game to rescue her real parents and three children imprisoned in a mirror. With only a bored-through stone and an aloof cat to help, Coraline confronts this harrowing task of escaping these monstrous creatures.
Review:
Coraline was very creepy. And I loved it. I can only imagine what a kid thinks as they read it. I found it creepy and unsettling as an adult.

When the movie first came out, I wanted to watch it very badly. It's the type of movie that I love and I couldn't pass it up. I got the chance to watch just a little of it (sadly, not all), but it was enough to make me want to read the children's book that it was based on.

Coraline was a creepy read that I will definitely come back to in the future. Maybe when I have children of my own, I will fill their Halloween nights with tales of the 'Other Mother', her eyes made of black buttons, skin the color of bone, alternate reality, and a talking black cat. Oh...and a circus of mice. I love it.

Rating: 4 Stars.

CODE WORD: BUTTONS
 



No comments:

Post a Comment