Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Review: Mechanic by Alexa Riley

Mechanic (Breeding, #2)
Cover Source: GoodReads.com
Title: Mechanic
Series: Breeding #2
Author: Alexa Riley
Version Reviewed: Finished, eBook.
*I purchased this book myself*

GoodReads Synopsis:
Everything was fine until that innocent little rich girl walked into my garage. Since the second I laid my eyes on her, all I've wanted to do is get my dirty hands on her pure body.

There's one minor obstacle standing in my way, but I've got a plan. All I've got to do is claim her, and she’ll be mine forever.

Warning: This book is over-the-top, insta-love. There's nothing but steamy scenes, babies trying to be made, and an obsessed bearded alpha hero claiming a virgin who will be his forever. If you want it hot and dirty, this is it!

*whispers* There's a sweet smutty surprise at the end!
Review:
Okay, so where do I begin with this book?  To be honest, I'm not really sure.  I contemplated not even writing a review, but I'm going to anyway.

I won't lie, the number one reason why I bought the book in the first place was because of the cover. That man is damn gorgeous. Normally, if I choose a book in this way, it turns out okay. Sometimes it's a win, sometimes it's a lose.  But you know how everyone says 'don't judge a book by it cover'? Yeah, well in this case I should have listened. I struggled with this book so much but I forced myself to continue reading it.  I absolutely hate to close a book and say that I'm done with it if I haven't finished reading it.  Even if don't really care for it, I usually try to get through a book because my feelings could change so I stuck with Mechanic until the very end.

Let me clarify that I did read the synopsis and do I realize that it says "over-the-top insta-love" and "babies trying to be made". I get that. I've read books like this before and there are more than enough "obsessed bearded alpha hero" stories to last a lifetime. I do not have a problem with that. I read a lot of that. But this... it did absolutely nothing for me, personally.

The insta-love was definitely over the top.  That was correct.  Paine had known her for only a few days when he was talking marriage and babies and acting all stalkerish.  I went into this book expecting to like Paine, execting to love Paine. In all honesty, he creeped me out. I'm into some weird stuff but it was uncomfortable for me to read the story and try to understand how Penelope could be okay with the things he was saying and doing. It was weird to me.

I am a lover of erotica. I love me some steamy sex scenes and I like it graphic. But I couldn't enjoy these constant sex scenes because, for me, they were uncomfortable. It was filled with graphic erotic thoughts mixed with thoughts of wanting to plant his seed inside her, wanting to impregnate her, wanting to breed her. Reading how much this guys wants his woman to be bred while he pounds into her and basically tells her that she is not allowed to use birth control was insane to me and was not sexy at all.

The story itself was decent. I feel like if the sexual aspect was a little different and Paine wasn't so creepy, I could have really enjoyed the story. It could have been great but it just didn't get there.  Not one thing drew any sort of emotion from me other than uncomfortable.

The writing and editing honestly wasn't up to par either.  I know that mistakes can be made, people can be busy, things can slip by. Normally I could look past editing issues if the story is well written. But I don't enjoy feeling like I'm reading an unfinished book when it was something that I bought and paid for. There were a couple of times when a word or two were completely left out of a sentence. Other times words were misspelled or used incorrectly. If I'm going to pay for a book, I expect the basic quality to be a little higher.

I really hate to write a negative review and it isn't something that I do often, but I was extremely let down by Mechanic and it didn't feel right to not write the review.  I feel like if some of the kinks were worked out a little and some of the stuff was edited a little better, in my opinion, it could have been a better book.

Rating: 2 Stars

1 comment:

  1. I hate to say it but I have issues with facial hair. I tend to shy away from book covers with that.

    ReplyDelete