Friday, May 20, 2016

Review: Dreamless by Josephine Angelini

Dreamless (Starcrossed, #2)
Cover Source: GoodReads.com
Title: Dreamless
Author: Josephine Angelini
Series: Starcrossed #2
Version Reviewed: Finished, Paperback.
Website: www.josephineangelini.com
I purchased this book myself.

GoodReads Synopsis:
Can true love be FORGOTTEN?
As the only Scion who can descend into the Underworld, Helen Hamilton has been given a nearly impossible task. By night she wanders through Hades, trying to stop the endless cycle of revenge that has cursed her family. By day she struggles to overcome the fatigue that is rapidly eroding her sanity. Without Lucas by her side, Helen is not sure she has the strength to go on.
Just as Helen is pushed to her breaking point, a mysterious new Scion comes to her rescue. Funny and brave, Orion shields her from the dangers of the Underworld. But time is running out - a ruthless foe plots against them, and the Furies' cry for blood is growing louder.
As the ancient Greek world collides with the mortal one, Helen's sheltered life on Nantucket descends into chaos. But the hardest task of all will be forgetting Lucas Delos.
Josephine Angelini's compelling saga becomes ever more intricate and spellbinding as an unforgettable love triangle emerges and the eternal cycle of revenge intensifies. Eagerly awaited, this sequel to the internationally bestselling STARCROSSED delivers a gritty, action-packed love story that exceeds all expectations.
Review:
Do you ever have a series or a book that, for whatever reason, you always put off reading? For days, months, sometimes even years? Well, this series happens to be one of those for me.  I literally put off reading the first book in the series, Starcrossed, for years. I had been wanting to read it since 2011 but didn't actually buy it until 2012 or 2013. I didn't read the book until earlier this year. And I just not got around to reading the second book in the series.  I don't know why I keep doing this to myself because the series is absolutely AMAZING. Like, I can't get enough of it.

The story line is crazy good. There are so many twists and turns and it's not very easy to figure out, which is something that really gets my attention. It's not often that a book is insanely unpredictable but this one is. I never know what's going to happen next and I absolutely love that. It's refreshing to not be able to figure it out half way through or even chapter by chapter.

I don't read a crazy amount of retellings even though I really enjoy them. I usually stick to contemporary romance but, with my love of retellings of greek mythology, I know that I need to expand my reading material.  The ones that I have read, however, have not been like this one at all. Most of the ones that I have read focus on the Gods, the monsters, the Olympians. And, although this series has all of that, it's... more.  If you've read this book then I'm sure you'll understand exactly what I'm trying to say. It follows a different sort of path than all the ones I've read before and I really like it.

The characters are just as great.  Helen, Lucas, their friends and family, and now, Orion, really draw you into the story more and make you want to know what their journey is going to hold.  I have to know what happens to them! I'm probably going to try to get the husband to make a stop at Barnes and Noble this weekend to see if they have Goddess, the third book in the series.

A great story, great characters, and an all around great series. I can't get enough.

Rating: 5 Stars.
Character: Lucas & Orion.

2 comments:

  1. For some reason, I never carried on with this series. I’m glad you liked this one though because now it makes me want to re-read STARCROSSED and continue on. Great review!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! You should definitely continue on! I can't wait to get Goddess and find out what happens!

      Delete