Sunday, July 8, 2018

Review: City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)
Cover Source: GoodReads.com
Title: City of Bones
Author: Cassandra Clare
Series: The Mortal Instruments #1
Version Reviewed: Finished, Audiobook
Narrator: Mae Whitman
I borrowed this audiobook from my local library.

GoodReads Synopsis:
When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder― much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing―not even a smear of blood―to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?
This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know...

Exotic and gritty, exhilarating and utterly gripping, Cassandra Clare's ferociously entertaining fantasy takes readers on a wild ride that they will never want to end.
Review:
City of Bones is one of those books that I have been dying to read for quite some time but, for whatever reason, have never picked it up. I've literally owned the paperback for years but have never opened it.  I decided that this would be the year that I would change that.

This book was honestly everything that I expected and hoped it would be. There's so much action and adventure and I honestly saw some parallels between Valentine and Voldemort, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. There's so much to lose yourself in inside this story that I found myself instantly hooked, needing to know what was going to happen next, which creature we would learn about in the next chapter, what kind of choices the characters would have to make.

There were a few things that were easy for me to figure out along the way but that didn't take away from the surprise of the situations when they actually happened. If anything it made me sad that I was right and that these characters would act in that way.

I am definitely excited to read more and I'm curious about how Jace and Clary's relationship will change and grow. I'm also really curious about Bane's character. I found him extremely entertaining and interesting.

Rating: 4 Stars.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you liked it! This series is not without its problems, but I enjoyed the world and story, and the humor is great, it's very quotable :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't pick it up for so long as well, but finally read it about two years ago. I really love the world Cassandra Clare created. I'm glad you enjoyed this one, and if you love this series overall, I would definitely check out the other books she puts out in this universe (especially The Infernal Devices).

    ReplyDelete