Monday, July 23, 2018

Review: Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

Fangirl
Cover Source: GoodReads
Title: Fangirl
Author: Rainbow Rowell
Narrators: Rebecca Lowman, Maxwell Caulfield
Version Reviewed: Finished Audiobook
Website: www.rainbowrowell.com
I borrowed this book from my local library.

GoodReads Synopsis:
Cath is a Simon Snow fan.
Okay, the whole world is a Simon Snow fan...
But for Cath, being a fan is her life—and she’s really good at it. She and her twin sister, Wren, ensconced themselves in the Simon Snow series when they were just kids; it’s what got them through their mother leaving.
Reading. Rereading. Hanging out in Simon Snow forums, writing Simon Snow fan fiction, dressing up like the characters for every movie premiere.
Cath’s sister has mostly grown away from fandom, but Cath can’t let go. She doesn’t want to.
Now that they’re going to college, Wren has told Cath she doesn’t want to be roommates. Cath is on her own, completely outside of her comfort zone. She’s got a surly roommate with a charming, always-around boyfriend, a fiction-writing professor who thinks fan fiction is the end of the civilized world, a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words... And she can’t stop worrying about her dad, who’s loving and fragile and has never really been alone.
For Cath, the question is: Can she do this?
Can she make it without Wren holding her hand? Is she ready to start living her own life? Writing her own stories?
And does she even want to move on if it means leaving Simon Snow behind?
Review:
I heard a lot about this book when it was making it's rounds in the book blogging community. As a huge Harry Potter fangirl and one that used to write Harry/Draco slash fanfiction, I knew that I had to read this book. Cath's personality was very similar to mine back in the day and that drew me in even more. I wanted to know more about her character and her writing.

When I began reading Fangirl, I was drawn in from the very first chapter. The transition to college for Cath was not an easy one and I think all of the struggles she dealt with in her social life and in school were very easy to relate to. It was nice to see a character that was very human in her flaws and didn't always try her hardest the things that were supposed to matter most. I think that's why I like Cath's character so much. I had a hard time in school for reasons very similar to hers (not the fanfiction relation but the procrastination and loss of interest in school) and I definitely felt a little bit of myself in her character.

The secondary characters in this book were also great to follow along with. Cath's twin sister was very real in her transition to new adulthood. She took the opposite path as her sister and found herself falling a little too far down the rabbit hole of the college social scene. 

Levi and Reagan were fun characters that brought their own amazing qualities to the story as well. Levi was probably my favorite character in Fangirl. He was such a real, down-to-earth nice guy that was genuinely interested in Cath but still didn't always make the right choices. No one is perfect and I like that his character reflected that.

Cath's mom and dad were there own version of a dysfunctional family that is all but too common in the world today and I really enjoyed the inclusion of Baz and Simon and their whole world. The inclusion of the Simon Snow stories as well and writing from Cath's fanfiction was a great addition that helped the story in it's ebb and flow. Great decision on the author's part.

I definitely plan to read more by Rainbow Rowell and I can't wait to sink my teeth into Carry On. I am so flippin' happy she actually wrote Simon Snow books cause I am here for it. lol.

Rating: 4 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment