Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Review: Geek Girl by Cindy C. Bennett

8883501
Cover Source: GoodReads.com
Title: Geek Girl
Author: Cindy C. Bennett
Series:
Version Reviewed: ARC, eBook

GoodReads Summary:
"Think I can turn that boy bad?" 17-year-old Jen turns her life upside down when, out of boredom, she makes a bet that she can turn school geek Trevor into someone like her. Instead, the goth girl finds herself sucked into his world of sci-fi movies, charity work, and even -ugh!- bowling. To truly belong with him -and with her new foster family- she must first come to terms with her violent past.

I absolutely loved this book. A friend of mine recommended it a while back, but I had never heard of it. I looked into it and thought it sounded interesting. I decided to give it a try. I was super excited when I saw that Cedar Fort was holding a tour for it. I immediately signed us up. I didn't jump right into the book but waited until it was closer to our tour stop. I regret this decision. I should have read Geek Girl as soon as I received it for review. 

I applaud Cindy C. Bennett for writing a very realistic book. I found the characters very believable and it made me feel like I was in high school again.

One thing that drew me to the book and made it easier for us to slip into it so smoothly is the fact that both of us grew up in less than ideal environments with a less than ideal sense of family. The two of us had it hard and even though Jen's character in the book definitely had a worse childhood than me, it drew me in and made me enjoy the book and relate to what she was going through. This book was a great read and I recommend it to anyone that has yet to read it and enjoys contemporary YA.


"Mrs Brady/Cleaver herself answers the door,freshly rolled out of an old sitcom. She has pants on instead of a dress, true, but she is weraing an apron, her hair and makeup perfectly in place, subdued, a string of pearls at her throat completing the picture-perfect image. She can't quite hide the flash of shock and disgust on her face when she see's the thing that's standing on her porch, but she recovers quickly."
"There, now we can have our own dance, with no one to bother us or judge us."

Favorite Character:
Rating: 5 Stars.
 photo blue5.png
*This book was provided for free by the publishers for review.



post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment